A traditional machinist is one who can: operate a machine tool; disassemble and repair the machine tool by building new parts such as gears, splines, and shafts from scratch using various machine tools such as mills, lathes, grinders, planers, etc.; then reassemble the machine tool and operate it.
The Basic Machinist course will cover the following:
A: General Safety
B: The proper use of measuring instruments including machinist scales, rules, inside, outside and depth micrometers, how to read
and interpret micrometers and calipers.
C: The proper selection and use of hand tools and hand-held power tools. Hand tool and power tool safety.
D: Basic Mill, Drill Press and Lathe operation. The proper use and selection of cutting tools and basic metallurgy.
E: Basic blueprint reading and interpreting.
Practical skill assessments:
- Valve Maintenance, Open, inspect and perform basic maintenance of the valve seats and stems of gate valve, globe valve, ball valve and butterfly valve.
- Hydraulic pump disassembly, inspection and reassembly.
- Small engine overhaul including disassembly to the block. Take precise measurements for:
a. Head and block for linearity.
b. Piston and liner wear measurements.
c. Crankpin and main bearing wear measurements.
d. Reassemble and verify correct timing.
- Using the lathe, fabricate to the specified tolerance, a bound bolt using the instructor provided drawing. Bolt shall be 3” 9/16” – 12UNC with a 2” shaft .625” -0.000” / +0.001” tolerance. Fabricate a 9/16” – 12UNC nut for the bound bolt.
- Using the Drill Press, correctly drill the 9/16” – 12UNC nut to accept safety wire.
- Using the lathe, fabricate a replacement pump shaft using the supplied sample.
- Using the Milling Machine, cut two keyways as per the sample shaft in the new shaft.
2019 Course Dates:
Call 757-464-6008 for Class Availability
2020 Course Dates:
02/10/2020 – 02/28/2020
05/04/2020 – 05/22/2020
07/27/2020 – 08/14/2020
10/19/2020 – 11/06/2020
Class Starts at: 8:00 a.m.
Check-in Time Starts at: 7:00 a.m.