2743 | BASIC SHIPFITTER
Mid-Atlantic Maritime Academy is offering a basic shipfitter course to:
- Mariners wishing to broaden their knowledge base
- Shipyard and ship repair personnel seeking advancement
- contributes to all structural phases of a ship’s hull construction which may include fitting, fabricating, assembly and alignment of a ship’s structure.
- is proficient in hooking up and properly using gas cutting and heating equipment.
- Lays out the plate to be cut from drawing or sketches.
- Properly prepares edges and surfaces for installation and uses, clamps, chainfalls and or wedges and dogs to accurately position and align the plate.
- Is knowledgeable regarding the following types of plating material: steel, copper nickel, aluminum, stainless steel. Reads, understands, and interprets advanced blueprints to perform the task required.
- Is capable of conducting tank inspections and documenting the results.
- Can install a prefabricated foundation after accurately pinpointing the installation location by reading sketches and drawings.
- Uses framing, alignment and leveling tools with ease.
This Basic Ship fitter course will cover the following:
A: General Safety
B: The proper use of measuring instruments including machinist scales, rules, inside, outside and depth micrometers, how to read and interpret micrometers and calipers.
C: The proper selection and use of hand tools and hand-held power tools. Hand and power tool safety.
D: Material handling equipment; chainfalls, come-alongs, slings, straps, shackles, basic rigging, fall protection, fall protection PPE and safety.
E: Basic blueprint reading, interpreting and guidelines for field expedient sketches.
F: Oxy-acetylene and alternate fuel gas cutting theory, practice and safety.
G: Proper procedures for fire watch and basic fire theory and safety.
H: Welding theory and procedure.
1 – Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW)
2 – Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW)
I: Welding metallurgy.
J: Pressure and Non-Destructive testing and inspection methods.
Course Number: 2743
Course Length: 80 HOURS
Minimum Class Size: 2 STUDENTS
Maximum Class Size: 4 STUDENTS
Price: $3,000 per student
Students attending the basic Shipfitter course will be required to wear steel toed work shoes or boots, long sleeve shirts and pants of either FR material or Organic Fiber (cotton or similar) no synthetic materials allowed and have safety glasses. All other PPE will be provided.
2021 COURSE DATES:
05/03/2021 – 05/14/2021
05/24/2021 – 06/04/2021
06/21/2021 – 07/02/2021
07/26/2021 – 08/06/2021
08/16/2021 – 08/27/2021
09/06/2021 – 09/17/2021
10/18/2021 – 10/29/2021
11/08/2020 – 11/19/2021