Course Hours: 80hrs In-Person
Course Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Basic Shipfitter Course
Mid-Atlantic Maritime Academy’s Basic Shipfitter Course is for:
- Mariners wishing to broaden their knowledge base
- Shipyard and ship repair personnel seeking advancement
- Contributes to all structural phases of a ship’s hull construction which may include fitting, fabricating, assembly and alignment of a ship’s structure.
- Is proficient in hooking up and properly using gas cutting and heating equipment.
- Lays out the plate to be cut from drawing or sketches.
- Properly prepares edges and surfaces for installation and uses, clamps, chainfalls and or wedges and dogs to accurately position and align the plate.
- Is knowledgeable regarding the following types of plating material: steel, copper nickel, aluminum, stainless steel. Reads, understands, and interprets advanced blueprints to perform the task required.
- Is capable of conducting tank inspections and documenting the results.
- Can install a prefabricated foundation after accurately pinpointing the installation location by reading sketches and drawings.
- Uses framing, alignment and leveling tools with ease.
This Basic Ship fitter course will cover the following:
- General Safety
- The proper use of measuring instruments including machinist scales, rules, inside,
- The proper selection and use of hand tools and hand-held power tools. Hand and power tool safety.
- Material handling equipment; chainfalls, come-alongs, slings, straps, shackles, basic
- rigging, fall protection, fall protection PPE and safety.
- Basic blueprint reading, interpreting and guidelines for field expedient sketches.
- Oxy-acetylene and alternate fuel gas cutting theory, practice and safety.
- Proper procedures for fire watch and basic fire theory and safety.
- Welding theory and procedure.
outside and depth micrometers, how to read and interpret micrometers and calipers.
- Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW)
- Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW)
- Welding metallurgy.
07/26/2021 – 08/06/2021
08/16/2021 – 08/27/2021
09/06/2021 – 09/17/2021
10/18/2021 – 10/29/2021
11/08/2021 – 11/19/2021
Check-In: 7:00 a.m.
Class Starts: 8:00 a.m.
MAMA is a 2021 and 2022 Center of Excellence for Domestic Maritime Workforce Training and Education (CoE) designee
If you need help with hotel and car rentals please give us a call. We have arrangements with local hotels and car rental agencies for our students. We want to make it as easy as possible for you to attend our school.