1792 | Celestial Navigation/Oceans Navigation (500/1600 GRT)
Course Number: 1792
Course Length: 80 hours
Minimum Class Size: 2
Maximum Class Size: 8
Price will increase to $2100.00 effective 01-01-2020
Please bring picture ID on first day of class
Any applicant who has successfully completed our Oceans Navigation / Celestial Navigation (500/1600 Tons) (MIDATL-107) course will satisfy:
- The Navigation General: Oceans and Navigation Problems: Oceans Examination requirements for increasing the scope for one of the following endorsements from Near Coastal to Oceans, provided the applicant presents our Certificate of Training within one year of the completion of application for endorsement:
- Second or Third Mate of self-propelled vessels of unlimited tonnage; OR
- Master or Mate of self-propelled vessels of less than 1600 GRT; OR
- Master or Mate of self-propelled vessels of less than 500 GRT; OR
- Master or Mate of self-propelled vessels of less than 200 GRT; OR
- Master or Mate of Offshore Supply Vessels; OR
- Master or Mate of Uninspected Fishing Industry Vessels; AND
- The Celestial Navigation standards of competence required by STCW Code Section A-II/2 and Tables A-II/2, as amended 2010, meeting the National Assessment Guidelines from NVICs 10-14(Ch-2), 11-14(Ch-2) and 03-18 Tasks 2.1.A, 2.1.B, 2.1.C, and 3.1.A.
Applicants who have successfully completed our course need not present completed “Task Control Sheets” for these assessments in application for STCW certification.
The objective of the course is to provide students with the detailed knowledge to support the training outcomes related to celestial navigation under Seafarers’ Training and Certification of Watchkeeping (STCW) Code as amended under Table A-II/2; Specification of minimum standard of competence for masters and chief mates on ships of 500 gross tonnage or more.
Function: Navigation at the management level
Competence: Determine position and the accuracy of resultant position fix by any means
Knowledge, understanding and proficiency
- Position determination in all conditions by celestial observations
Recommended Study Material:
Watchstanding Guide for the Merchant Officer Robert J. Meurn 1990.
Merchant Marine Officers Hand Book. William B. Hayler, Editor
Master’s Handbook on Ship’s Business Third Edition Tuuli Messer
The Business of Shipping Seventh Edition Lane C. Kendall James J. Buckley 2001.
2019 Course Dates:
12/09/2019 – 12/20/2019
2020 Course Dates:
03/09/2020 – 03/20/2020
04/20/2020 – 05/01/2020
07/06/2020 – 07/17/2020
09/14/2020 – 09/25/2020
11/02/2020 – 11/13/2020
12/07/2020 – 12/18/2020
Class Starts at: 8:00 a.m.
Check-in Time Starts at: 7:00 a.m.
Required Course Tools:
Weems and Plath Triangle #101 (2 Triangles are required) $15.00
Weems and Plath 15 Parallel Ruler “$20.00”
Weems and Plath Ultralight Divider/Compass #176 $23.00
Weems and Plath Rude Starfinder 2102-D $42.00
Texas Instruments TI-30Xa Scientific Calculator $16.00