OUPV – USCG Boat Captains License
Course Number: 1761
Course Length: 62 hours, In-Person
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Minimum Class Size: 2
Maximum Class Size: 10
Please bring picture ID on first day of class
2021 COURSE DATES:
07/06/2021 – 07/15/2021
09/07/2021 – 09/16/2021
11/01/2021 – 11/10/2021
12/01/2021 – 12/10/2021
OUPV: Operator of Un-Inspected Passenger Vessels
Basic Charter Boat Captain’s License
(Also referred to as a “Six Pack” License and is a great entry license for Boat Captains and mates who are engaged in charters or just want to enhance their boating credentials.)
Any applicant who has successfully completed the Operator of Un-Inspected Passenger Vessels (OUPV) course and presents the Certificate of Training within one year of the completion of training, will satisfy the examination requirements of:
- 46 CFR 11.903(a)(24) for original issuance,
- 46 CFR 10.227(e)(1)(iii) for renewal,
- 46 CFR 10.227(i)(1) for re-issuance, of a merchant mariner endorsement as Operator of Un-Inspected Passenger Vessels (OUPV) Upon Near Coastal, or Great Lakes and Inland, or Inland Waters.
The course completion certificate issued upon successful completion of this course is valid for one application which results in the issuance of an endorsement(s) and may not be used for future application transactions.
After attaining the requisite sea service, and upon successful completion of the OUPV course, the trainee will:
- Be able to take responsibility for the safety of an un-inspected passenger vessel and its passengers
- Be aware of obligations under Coast Guard regulations concerning safety and protection of the marine environment
- And, be able to take the practical measures necessary to meet those obligations.
Recommended Study Material:
Navigation Rules International—Inland COMDTINST M16672.2D. Publisher Department of Transportation United States Coast Guard
Basic Captain’s License for those who want to run fishing charters, etc.
This course should not be confused with a state recreational boater’s license. This is a United States Coast Guard Licensed Course. The requirements to qualify can be found here: USCG OUPV Requirements (Form Download)
If you have any questions please call us at 757-520-1668.
If you need help with hotel and car rentals, please give us a call. We have arrangements with local hotels and car rental agencies for our students. We want to make it as easy as possible for you to attend our school.