1755 | Apprentice Mate (Steersman) Upgrade
Course Number: 1755
Course Length: 24 hours, In-Person
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Minimum Class Size: 2
Maximum Class Size: 6
Please bring picture ID on first day of class
Required Course Tools:
- Weems and Plath 15 ($20.00)
- Weems and Plath Ultralight Divider/Compass #176 ($23.00)
- Texas Instruments TI-30Xa Scientific Calculator ($16.00)
- Weems and Plath Triangle #101 (2 Triangles are required) ($15.00)
Any applicant who has successfully completed our Apprentice Mate (Steersman) Upgrade (MIDATL-33) course, and presents our Certificate of Training within one year of the completion of training, will satisfy:
- the examination requirements of 46 CFR 11.466(a) for original issuance, or 46 CFR 10.227(e) (1)(iii) for renewal of an endorsement as Apprentice Mate (Steersman) of Towing Vessels (Near Coastal or Inland); provided, applicant is endorsed as Master of less than 200 GRT); OR, have satisfied the examination requirements for Master of less than 200 GT within the previous 12 months.
Upon completion of instruction and examinations, each student shall have a good understanding of the subjects that pertain to a mariner in training to become master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels or master of towing vessels.
License progression comes about through the use of licenses as apprentice mate (steersman) and mate (pilot) of towing vessels. After suitable service on towing vessels a mariner will undergo examination by the Coast Guard, and, if successful, receive a license as apprentice mate (steersman).
After training and assessment, mariner will receive a license as mate (pilot) of towing vessels. To progress from apprentice mate (steersman) to mate (pilot) of towing vessel a mariner needs to complete either— (1) an on-the-job training program documented in a TOAR or, (2) an approved training course [see 46 CFR 11.465(f)].
Recommended Study Material:
- Modern Towing 1989 John S. Blank III . Cornell Maritime Press/Tidewater Publishers
Primer of Towing, Third Edition 2004 George H. Reid. Cornell Maritime Press/Tidewater Publishers
Call 757-464-6008 for Class Availability
Check-in Time Starts at: 7:00 a.m.
Class Starts at: 8:00 a.m.
Why Come to Norfolk, VA
MAMA Trains is located in a huge resort area. There is so much to do in our town. There are two main industries in our area. The US Navy and Tourism. There are family-friendly attractions and excellent night-life activities. We have some of the best restaurants in America and Virginia Beach is often on lists such as the safest places to live and best places to visit. Check out our attractions while you are here.
Need Help Traveling Here?
If you need help with hotel and car rentals, please give us a call. We have arrangements with local hotels and car rental agencies for our students. We want to make it as easy as possible for you to attend our school.