1755 | Apprentice Mate (Steersman) Upgrade (MIDATL-33)
Course Number: 1755
Course Length: 24 hours
Minimum Class Size: 2
Maximum Class Size: 6
Please bring picture ID on first day of class
Any applicant who has successfully completed our Apprentice Mate (Steersman) Upgrade (MIDATL-33) course, and presents our Certificate of Training within one year of the completion of training, will satisfy:
- the examination requirements of 46 CFR 11.466(a) for original issuance, or 46 CFR 10.227(e) (1)(iii) for renewal of an endorsement as Apprentice Mate (Steersman) of Towing Vessels (Near Coastal or Inland); provided, applicant is endorsed as Master of less than 200 GRT); OR, have satisfied the examination requirements for Master of less than 200 GT within the previous 12 months.
Upon completion of instruction and examinations, each student shall have a good understanding of the subjects that pertain to a mariner in training to become master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels or master of towing vessels.
License progression comes about through the use of licenses as apprentice mate (steersman) and mate (pilot) of towing vessels. After suitable service on towing vessels a mariner will undergo examination by the Coast Guard, and, if successful, receive a license as apprentice mate (steersman).
After training and assessment, mariner will receive a license as mate (pilot) of towing vessels. To progress from apprentice mate (steersman) to mate (pilot) of towing vessel a mariner needs to complete either— (1) an on-the-job training program documented in a TOAR or, (2) an approved training course [see 46 CFR 11.465(f)].
Recommended Study Material:
Modern Towing 1989 John S. Blank III . Cornell Maritime Press/Tidewater Publishers
Primer of Towing, Third Edition 2004 George H. Reid. Cornell Maritime Press/Tidewater Publishers
2020 Course Dates:
Call 757-464-6008 for Class Availability
Class Starts at: 8:00 a.m.
Check-in Time Starts at: 7:00 a.m.
Required Course Tools:
- Weems and Plath 15 $20.00
- Weems and Plath Ultralight Divider/Compass #176 $23.00
- Texas Instruments TI-30Xa Scientific Calculator $16.00
- Weems and Plath Triangle #101 (2 Triangles are required) $15.00