1717 | Cargo Handling & Stowage (Operational Level)
Course Number: 1717
Course Length: 40 hours
Minimum Class Size: 2
Maximum Class Size: 12
Please bring picture ID on first day of class
Recommend taking: Ship Construction & Stability before this course.
Any applicant who successfully completes our Cargo Handling & Stowage (Operational Level) (MIDATL-100) course will satisfy the following requirements:
- The Cargo Handling and Stowage training requirements of 46 CFR 11.309(a)(4)(x) for an STCW endorsement as Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch on vessels of 500 or more gross tonnage (ITC); AND,
- 46 CFR 11.321 (Operational Level) and 11.317 (Management Level) for STCW endorsements as Master or OICNW on vessels less than 500 GT limited to near-coastal waters; AND,
- 46 CFR 11.319 for STCW endorsements as OICNW on vessels of less than 500 GT valid upon all waters and 11.315 for STCW endorsements as Master of vessels less than 500 GT valid upon all waters; AND,
- The following TASKs as documented in NVIC 12-14 (Ch-3): 10.1, 10.2, 10.3.A, 11.1, 11.2, 11.3, 11.4.A, 11.5, 11.6, 11.7; AND,
- The following TASKs as documented in NVIC 13-14: 6.1.A, 6.1.B; AND
- The following TASKS as documented in NVIC 02-18: 10.1.A, 10.2.A, 10.3.A, 11.1.A, 11.2.A, 11.3.A, 11.4.A, 11.5.A, 11.6.A; AND,
- The following TASKs as documented in NVIC 03-18: 11.1.A, 11.2.A, 11.3.A, 11.4.A, 11.4.B, 11.5.A, 11.5.B, 11.5.C, and 11.5.D.
Applicants who have successfully completed our course need not present completed Task Control Sheets for these assessments in application for STCW certification.
This course aims to meet the mandatory minimum requirements for knowledge, understanding and proficiency in Table A-II/1 as amended for the function Cargo Handling and Stowage at the Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch on vessels of 500 or more gross tonnage. This course will provide students with the detailed knowledge to support the training outcomes related to navigation at the operational level and in doing so satisfy company, national, and international regulations for candidates for certification as follows in accordance with Table A-II/1:
Specification of minimum standard of competence for officers in charge of a navigational watch on ships of 500 gross tonnage or more.
Function: Cargo handling and stowage at the operational level
Competence: Monitor the loading, stowage, securing, care during the voyage and the unloading of cargoes
Knowledge, understanding and proficiency:
Cargo handling, stowage and securing:
- Knowledge of safe handling, stowage and securing of cargoes, including dangerous, hazardous and harmful cargoes, and their effect on the safety of life and of the ship
- Ability to establish and maintain effective communications during loading and unloading
Competence: Inspect and report defects and damage to cargo spaces, hatch covers and ballast tanks
Knowledge, understanding and proficiency:
- Knowledge and ability to explain where to look for damage and defects most commonly encountered due to:
- loading and unloading operations
- severe weather conditions
- Ability to state which parts of the ship shall be inspected each time in order to cover all parts within a given period of time
- State the causes of corrosion in cargo spaces and ballast tanks and how corrosion can be identified and prevented
- Knowledge of procedures on how the inspections shall be carried out
- Ability to explain how to ensure reliable detection of defects and damages
- Understanding of the purpose of the “enhanced survey program”
Recommended Study Material:
Stability and Trim for the Ship’s Officer; Fourth Edition William E. George, Editor 2005.
Merchant Marine Officers Hand Book. William B. Hayler, Editor
Marine Cargo Operations, 3rd Edition Robert J. Meurn and Charles L. Sauerbier 2004
2020 Course Dates:
05/18/2020 – 05/22/2020
06/22/2020 – 06/26/2020
07/27/2020 – 07/31/2020
08/24/2020 – 08/28/2020
09/21/2020 – 09/25/2020
10/26/2020 – 10/30/2020
11/16/2020 – 11/20/2020
12/14/2020 – 12/18/2020
Class Starts at: 8:00 a.m.
Check-in Time Starts at: 7:00 a.m.
Required Course Tools:
Texas Instruments TI-30Xa Scientific Calculator $15.00