1714 | Ship Construction and Basic Stability (MIDATL-449)
Course Number: 1714
Course Length: 40 hours
Minimum Class Size: 2
Maximum Class Size: 12
Please bring picture ID on first day of class
Any applicant who successfully completes our Ship Construction & Basic Stability (MIDATL-449) course will satisfy:
- The ship construction and ship stability standard of competence requirements of Table A-II/1 of the STCW Code, as amended 2010; and
- The approved training requirements of 46 CFR 11.309(a)(4)(xii) for certification as an Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch on vessels of 500 GT or more; AND,
- The following assessments have been determined to be equivalent of National Assessment Guidelines Tasks, as documented in:
- NVIC 12-14 (CH-1) Guidelines on Qualifications for Officer In Charge Of A Navigational Watch on Vessels of 500 GT or More: Tasks 10.1, 11.3, 13.1, 13.2, 13.3, and 13.4; AND
- NVIC 13-14 Guidelines on Qualifications for Master or Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch less than 500 GT Limited to Near Coastal Waters: Tasks 8.1.A; 8.2.A; 8.3.A and 8.4.A.
Applicants for an STCW endorsement are not required to present completed task assessment sheets for these assessments.
This course aims to meet the mandatory minimum requirements for knowledge, understanding and proficiency in Table A-II/1 as amended for the function Ship stability and Ship construction at the Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch on vessels of 500 or more gross tonnage. This course will provide students with the detailed knowledge to support the training outcomes related to navigation at the operational level and in doing so satisfy company, national, and international regulations for candidates for certification as follows in accordance with Table A-II/1:
This course also aims to meet the mandatory minimum requirements for knowledge, understanding and proficiency in Table A-II/3 as amended for the function Ship Stability and Ship Construction as the Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch on vessels of 500 gross tonnage or less. This course will provide students with the detailed knowledge to support the training outcomes related to navigation at the operational level and in doing so satisfy company, national, and international regulations for candidates for certification as follows in accordance with Table A-II/3:
Specification of minimum standard of competence for officers in charge of a navigational watch on ships of 500 gross tonnage or more and 500 gross tonnage or less on Near Coastal Waters.
Function: Ship Construction & Basic Stability, and Cargo Handling at the operational level
Competence: Monitor the loading, stowage, and care during the voyage and unloading of cargoes
Knowledge, understanding and proficiency: Knowledge of the effect of cargo including heavy lifts, on the seaworthiness and stability of the ship
Competence: Inspect and report defects and damage to cargo spaces, hatch covers and ballast tanks
Knowledge, understanding and Proficiency: Identify those elements of the ship structure which are critical to the safety of the ship
Function: Controlling the operation of the ship and care for persons on board at the operational level
Competence: Maintain seaworthiness of the ship;
Knowledge, understanding and proficiency:
1. Working knowledge and application of stability, trim and stress tables, diagrams and stress-calculating equipment
2. Understanding of fundamental actions to be taken in the event of partial loss of intact buoyancy
3. Understanding of the fundamentals of watertight integrity
1. General knowledge of the principal structural members of a ship and the proper names for the various parts
Recommended Study Material:
Stability and Trim for the Ship’s Officer; Fourth Edition William E. George, Editor 2005.
2020 Course Dates:
05/11/2020 – 05/15/2020
06/15/2020 – 06/19/2020
07/20/2020 – 07/24/2020
08/17/2020 – 08/21/2020
09/14/2020 – 09/18/2020
10/19/2020 – 10/23/2020
11/02/2020 – 11/06/2020
12/07/2020 – 12/11/2020
Class Starts at: 8:00 a.m.
Check-in Time Starts at: 7:00 a.m.
Required Course Tools:
Texas Instruments TI-30Xa Scientific Calculator$16.00