1705 | Celestial Navigation (Operational Level)
Course Number: 1705
Course Length: 120 hours, In-Person
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Minimum Class Size: 2
Maximum Class Size: 8
Please bring picture ID on first day of class
Celestial Navigation Course
- Weems and Plath Triangle #101 (2 Triangles are required): $15.00
- Weems and Plath 15 Parallel Ruler: $20.00
- Texas Instruments TI-30Xa Scientific Calculator: $16.00
- Weems and Plath Ultralight Divider/Compass #176: $23.00
- Weems and Plath Rude Starfinder 2102-D: $42.00
Students enrolling in this course should have completed a Terrestrial and Coastal Navigation Course prior to starting this course.
Any applicant who has successfully completed our Celestial Navigation (Operational Level) (MIDATL-114) will, provided the course completion certificate is submitted within one year of the course completion, satisfy the Oceans Navigation professional examination requirements “Navigation General: Oceans Navigation Problems: Oceans” for the following:
- The Celestial Navigation competency requirements of Section A-II/1 of the STCW Code, as amended, and the training requirements of 46 CFR 11.309(a)(4)(viii) For STCW endorsements as OICNW on vessels of 500 GT or more, AND
- To increase the scope of an endorsement as Master or Mate of self-propelled vessels of less than 500 or 1600 GRT from near coastal to oceans; AND
- To increase the scope of an endorsement as Master or Mate of Uninspected Fishing Industry Vessels from near coastal to oceans; AND
- The following practical assessments from Enclosure (2) of NVIC 12-14(Ch-2): 1.1.A, 1.1.B, 1.1.C, 1.1.D, 1.1.E, and 1.1.F.
Applicants successfully completing our course need not present completed Task Control Sheets for these assessments.
This course meets the mandatory minimum requirements for knowledge, understanding, and proficiency in Table A-II/1 and A-II/3 of STCW as amended for the function Navigation at the Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch on vessels of 500 or more gross tonnage (ITC) Level. The course will also provide students with the detailed knowledge to support the training outcomes related to navigation at the operational level and be able to use Celestial Navigation equipment for their navigational watch.
This course will meet the requirements for:
Specification of minimum standard of competence for officers in charge of a navigational watch on ships of 500 gross tonnage or more.
Function: Navigation at the operational level
Competence: Plan and conduct a passage and determine position.
Knowledge, understanding and proficiency: Celestial navigation
- Ability to use celestial bodies to determine the ship’s position
2022 COURSE DATES:
02/28/2022 – 03/18/2022
04/04/2022 – 04/22/2022
06/06/2022 – 06/24/2022
08/08/2022 – 08/26/2022
10/17/2022 – 11/04/2022
Check-in Time Starts at: 7:00 a.m.
Class Starts at: 8:00 a.m.
Why Come to Norfolk, VA
MAMA Trains is located in a huge resort area. There is so much to do in our town. There are two main industries in our area. The US Navy and Tourism. There are family-friendly attractions and excellent night-life activities. We have some of the best restaurants in America and Virginia Beach is often on lists such as the safest places to live and best places to visit. Check out our attractions while you are here.