1705 | Celestial Navigation (Operational Level)
Course Number: 1705
Course Length: 120 hours
Minimum Class Size: 2
Maximum Class Size: 8
Please bring picture ID on first day of class
Students enrolling in this course should have completed a Terrestrial and Coastal Navigation Course prior to starting this course.
Any applicant who has successfully completed our Celestial Navigation (Operational Level) (MIDATL-114) will, provided the course completion certificate is submitted within one year of the course completion, satisfy the Oceans Navigation professional examination requirements “Navigation General: Oceans Navigation Problems: Oceans” for the following:
- The Celestial Navigation competency requirements of Section A-II/1 of the STCW Code, as amended, and the training requirements of 46 CFR 11.309(a)(4)(viii) For STCW endorsements as OICNW on vessels of 500 GT or more, AND
- To increase the scope of an endorsement as Master or Mate of self-propelled vessels of less than 500 or 1600 GRT from near coastal to oceans; AND
- To increase the scope of an endorsement as Master or Mate of Uninspected Fishing Industry Vessels from near coastal to oceans; AND
- The following practical assessments from Enclosure (2) of NVIC 12-14(Ch-2): 1.1.A, 1.1.B, 1.1.C, 1.1.D, 1.1.E, and 1.1.F.
Applicants successfully completing our course need not present completed Task Control Sheets for these assessments.
This course meets the mandatory minimum requirements for knowledge, understanding, and proficiency in Table A-II/1 and A-II/3 of STCW as amended for the function Navigation at the Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch on vessels of 500 or more gross tonnage (ITC) Level. The course will also provide students with the detailed knowledge to support the training outcomes related to navigation at the operational level and be able to use Celestial Navigation equipment for their navigational watch. This course will meet the requirements for:
Specification of minimum standard of competence for officers in charge of a navigational watch on ships of 500 gross tonnage or more.
Function: Navigation at the operational level
Competence: Plan and conduct a passage and determine position.
Knowledge, understanding and proficiency
- Ability to use celestial bodies to determine the ship’s position
2020 Course Dates:
06/01/2020 – 06/19/2020
08/10/2020 – 08/28/2020
10/19/2020 – 11/06/2020
Class Starts at: 8:00 a.m.
Check-in Time Starts at: 7:00 a.m.
Required Course Tools:
Weems and Plath Triangle #101 (2 Triangles are required) $15.00
Weems and Plath 15 Parallel Ruler $20.00
Weems and Plath Ultralight Divider/Compass #176 $23.00
Weems and Plath Rude Starfinder 2102-D $42.00
Texas Instruments TI-30Xa Scientific Calculator $16.00