Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC) GuideEarning Your Merchant Mariner Credential & Starting the Application Process
(1) GET A TRANSPORTATION WORKERS IDENTIFICATION CARD (TWIC)
TWIC Enrollment Center
232 Business Park Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23462
HOURS OF OPERATION
Monday thru Friday
8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
WHAT IS A TWIC™ ?
A Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC™) is a biometric credential that ensures only vetted workers are eligible to gain unescorted access to secure areas of a Maritime Transportation Security Act (MTSA)-regulated port or vessel.
Who needs a twic™ ?
Coast Guard-credentialed merchant mariners, port facility employees, longshore workers, truck drivers, and others requiring unescorted access to secure areas of maritime facilities and vessels regulated by the Maritime Transportation Security Act (MTSA)
Should I pre-enroll?
It is not required to pre-enroll, but it would save you time.
What documents do I need to enroll?
List A – One document
- Unexpired US passport book or passport card
- Unexpired Merchant Mariner Document (MMD)
List B – Two documents (one of which being a government-issued ID)
- Unexpired driver’s license
- Original or certified copy of birth certificate
- US Military ID card or US Retired Military ID
- US Military dependent’s card
- Expired US passport (within 12 months of expiration)
- US Social Security card
- US military discharge paper (DD-214)
(2) GET A MERCHANT MARINER CREDENTIAL (MMC)
Mid-Atlantic Maritime Academy will assist you in filling out the paperwork to apply to the Coast Guard for the MMC
The Merchant Mariner Credential or MMC is a credential issued by the United States Coast Guard in accordance with the STCW guidelines to the United States Seafarers to show evidence of a mariner’s qualifications.
MERCHANT MARINER’S PACKAGE:
- Application (Form CG-719B)
- Physical Form (Form CG-719K)
- Drug Test (Form CG-719P)
- Physical Fitness (Form CG-719K/E) Entry
- Merchant Mariners Oath (Notarized)
- Letters of Recommendation (License Applicants only)
- Sea Service Letter
- Page 4/Qualifications (OOD or EOOW)
- Page 5/Letter (History of Assignments)
- Drug Letter
(3) TAKE THE NECESSARY COURSES FOR YOUR STCW (STANDARD OF TRAINING CERTIFICATION WATCHKEEPING).
Basic Safety Training for STCW ✳
Course 1799 | 40 hours | $1075
- 16 hours of Basic Fire Fighting
- 8 hours of First Aid / CPR
- 12 hours of Personal Survival Techniques
- 4 hours of Personal Safety & Social Responsibilities