What is Military to Mariner?
Mariners are the men and women who run it all—from our ports and connectors, to vessel management and shipping around the world. United States Military Veterans have a wide range of technical, logistical and managerial experience from their time in services, some of it already tailored waterborne operations. The Military to Mariner program is designed to help Veterans capitalize on their experience and get on a fast-track to a role in the U.S. Merchant Marine.
The courses we offer are inexpensive and affordable. See pricing on course pages.
What are the requirements for this program?
• Applicant must be on active-duty with and EAS within 60 days of course completion or have sufficient terminal leave to meet that obligation.
• Applicant meets all requirement IAW DoDI 1322.29 and individual service branch instructions/directives **Navy must comply with additional eligibility criteria outlined in NAVADMIN 222/15
• Be able to stand for long periods of time.
• Be able to lift 50 pounds.
• Secure Command authorization to participate.
• Applicant must possess a valid driver’s license. A 3-year driving record must be provided at time of interview. *Disqualifying
Factors: DUI within the last year.
• Command-approved applicants will be scheduled for interviews with Mid-Atlantic Maritime Academy Representatives to determine final selection.
What is the nature of the work?
The Merchant Marine is that part of the maritime trade industry concerned with transporting cargo or passengers from place to place via water routes. Merchant Mariners operate ships and other water vessels on domestic and international waters. Workers on these ships are divided into three crews: the Deck Crew, which handles navigation and cargo operations, the Engine Crew, which oversees the generating system that propels the ship and the Steward/Supply Department, which sees to provisions meals and living quarters. Each crew is commanded by a Designated Officer. Water transportation workers hold 378,500 jobs. Average pay is between $40,000 to over $100,000.
Our Students receive 320 hours of Mariner training in the following subjects:
Able Body Seaman
Able Body Seaman
Military to Mariner Program
Please visit our website for more details and additional information for interviews, start dates and graduation:
Who is Mid-Atlantic Maritime Academy?
Mid-Atlantic Maritime Academy is a highly respected, state-of-the-art maritime training center. Above all, we established our courses for people seeking to enter the exciting maritime profession. Similarly, we teach mariners seeking to advance their careers too. MAMA offers over 90 USCG approved deck and engineering courses. We also offer custom tailored courses. We provide outstanding training to Civilian and Military Mariners from around the globe. Our expert staff of instructors use real world teaching techniques with cutting edge technology. Our “hands-on” equipment systems maintenance and interactive simulations are state-of-the-art. Also, our courses are inexpensive. Check out our pricing on each course page. Finally, we are also located in a resort area with so much to do while you are here. You may want to stay an extra day or two and take in the sights.