Mid-Atlantic Maritime Academy is offering a basic shipfitter course to:
- Mariners wishing to broaden their knowledge base
- Shipyard and ship repair personnel seeking advancement
- contributes to all structural phases of a ship’s hull construction which may include fitting, fabricating, assembly and alignment of a ship’s structure.
- is proficient in hooking up and properly using gas cutting and heating equipment.
- Lays out the plate to be cut from drawing or sketches.
- Properly prepares edges and surfaces for installation and uses, clamps, chainfalls and or wedges and dogs to accurately position and align the plate.
- Is knowledgeable regarding the following types of plating material: steel, copper nickel, aluminum, stainless steel. Reads, understands, and interprets advanced blueprints to perform the task required.
- Is capable of conducting tank inspections and documenting the results.
- Can install a prefabricated foundation after accurately pinpointing the installation location by reading sketches and drawings.
- Uses framing, alignment and leveling tools with ease.
This Basic Ship fitter course will cover the following:
A: General Safety
B: The proper use of measuring instruments including machinist scales, rules, inside,
outside and depth micrometers, how to read and interpret micrometers and calipers.
C: The proper selection and use of hand tools and hand-held power tools. Hand and
power tool safety.
D: Material handling equipment; chainfalls, come-alongs, slings, straps, shackles, basic
rigging, fall protection, fall protection PPE and safety.
E: Basic blueprint reading, interpreting and guidelines for field expedient sketches.
F: Oxy-acetylene and alternate fuel gas cutting theory, practice and safety.
G: Proper procedures for fire watch and basic fire theory and safety.
H: Welding theory and procedure.
1 – Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW)
2 – Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW)
I: Welding metallurgy.
J: Pressure and Non-Destructive testing and inspection methods.
Upcoming Course Dates:
Call 757-464-6008 for Class Availability
Class Starts at: 8:00 a.m.
Check-in Time Starts at: 7:00 a.m.