Any applicant who has successfully completed the Magnetic & Gyro Compasses (MIDATL-262) course will satisfy:
- The Compass – Magnetic and Gyro training requirements of 46 CFR 11.309(a)(4) for an STCW endorsement as Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch on vessels of 500 or more gross tonnage (ITC) AND,
- The following practical assessments performed during this course have been determined to be equivalent of National Assessment Guidelines Tasks as documented in NVIC 12-14 Guidelines on Qualifications For Officer In Charge Of A Navigational Watch on Vessels of 500 GT or More:
1.6.A, 1.6.B, 1.6.C, 1.6.D, 1.7.A, 1.7.B, 1.7.C, 1.7.D, 1.7.E, and 1.7.F
- Applicants who have successfully completed this course need not present completed Task Control Sheets for these assessments in application for STCW Certification.
This course meets the mandatory minimum requirements for knowledge, understanding, and proficiency in Table A-II/1 and A-II/3 of STCW as amended for the function Navigation at the Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch on vessels of 500 or more gross tonnage (ITC) Level. The course will also provide students with the detailed knowledge to support the training outcomes related to navigation at the operational level and be able to use compass – magnetic and gyro equipment for their navigational watch. This course will meet the requirements for:
Specification of minimum standard of competence for officers in charge of a navigational watch on ships of 500 gross tonnage or more.
Function: Navigation at the operational level
Competence: Plan and conduct a passage and determine position.
Knowledge, understanding and proficiency
Compass – magnetic and gyro
- Knowledge of the principles of magnetic and gyro-compasses
- Ability to determine errors of the magnetic and gyro-compasses, using celestial and terrestrial means, and to allow for such errors
Upcoming Course Dates:
Call for course availability
Class Start Times:
Day Classes: 8:00 a.m.
Night Classes: 4:00 p.m.
Check-in Time Starts at:
Day Classes: 7:00 a.m.
Night Classes: 3:00 p.m.
Required Course Tools:
Texas Instrument TI-30Xa Scientific Calculator $16.00