Students will demonstrate their knowledge, understanding, and proficiency of Radar/ARPA theory and successfully demonstrate competency on approved radar/ARPA simulators as required by the U.S. Coast Guard requirements and satisfying the ARPA competency requirements of Section A-II/1; A-II/2; & A-II/3 of the Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW) Code.
A trainee successfully completing this course and meeting the required performance standards will recognize when Automatic Radar Plotting Aid (ARPA) should be in use; will select a suitable mode and range setting for the circumstances; will be able to set the controls for optimal performance; and will be aware of the limitations of the equipment in detecting targets and in terms of accuracy. This course will meet the mandatory minimum requirements for knowledge, understanding and proficiency in Table A-II/1 as amended for the function Use of radar and ARPA to maintain safety of navigation at the Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch on vessels of 500 or more gross tonnage. This course will provide students with the detailed knowledge to support the training outcomes related to navigation at the operational level and in doing so satisfy company, national, and international regulations for candidates for certification as follows in accordance with Table A-II/1:
Table A-II/1 Specification of minimum standard of competence for officers in charge of a navigational watch on ships of 500 gross tonnage or more.
Function: Navigation at the operational level
Competence: Use of radar and ARPA to maintain safety of navigation
Note: Training and assessment in the use of ARPA is not required for those who serve exclusively on ships not fitted with ARPA. This limitation shall be reflected in the endorsement issued to the seafarer concerned.
Knowledge, understanding and proficiency:
- Principal types of ARPA, their display characteristics, performance standards and the dangers of over-reliance on ARPA
- Ability to operate and to interpret and analyze information obtained from ARPA, including:
- system performance and accuracy, tracking capabilities and limitations, and processing delays
- use of operational warnings and system tests
- methods of target acquisition and their limitations
- true and relative vectors, graphic representation of target information and danger areas
- deriving and analyzing information, critical echoes, exclusion areas, and trial maneuvers
Table A-II/2 Specification of minimum standard of competence for masters and chief mates on ships of 500 gross tonnage or more.
Function: Navigation at the management level
Competence: Maintain safe navigation through the use of information from navigation equipment and systems to assist command decision making
Note: Training and assessment in the use of ARPA is not required for those who serve exclusively on ships not fitted with ARPA. This limitation shall be reflected in the endorsement issued to the seafarer concerned
Knowledge, understanding and proficiency
- An appreciation of system errors and thorough understanding of the operational aspects of navigational systems
- Blind pilotage planning
- Evaluation of navigational information derived from all sources, including radar and ARPA, in order to make and implement command decisions for collision avoidance and for directing the safe navigation of the ship
- The interrelationship and optimum use of all navigational data available for conducting navigation
Upcoming Course Dates:
07/17/2017–07/20/2017 (Evening Class–Starts at 4:00 P.M.)
08/21/2017–08/24/2017 (Evening Class–Starts at 4:00 P.M.)
09/18/2017–09/21/2017 (Evening Class–Starts at 4:00 P.M.)
10/23/2017–10/26/2017 (Evening Class–Starts at 4:00 P.M.)
11/27/2017–11/30/2017 (Evening Class–Starts at 4:00 P.M.)
12/18/2017–12/21/2017 (Evening Class–Starts at 4:00 P.M.)
Class Start Times:
Day Classes: 8:00 a.m.
Night Classes: 4:00 p.m.
Check-in Time Starts at:
Day Classes: 7:00 a.m.
Night Classes: 3:00 p.m.
Required Course Tools:
1. Weems and Plath Triangle #101 (2 Triangles are required) $15.00
2. Weems and Plath 15″$20.00
3. Weems and Plath Ultralight Divider/Compass #176 $23.00
4. Texas Instruments TI-30Xa Scientific Calculator $16.00
5. Weems and Plath Nautical Slide Rule #105 $23.00