Mid-Atlantic Maritime Academy (MAMA) is a highly respected, state-of-the-art vocational training center established for individuals who seek to enter the exciting maritime profession, as well as mariners seeking to advance their careers. MAMA offers 90+ USCG approved deck courses and engineering courses along with tailored courses. We are dedicated to providing outstanding training to civilian and military mariners from around the globe. Our expert staff of highly regarded, seasoned instructors provide a combination of unequaled teaching techniques with cutting-edge technology such as “hands on” equipment systems maintenance, and interactive simulations .
MAMA Provides Practical Programs and Customized Courses That:
- Prepare our students with the skills and knowledge for success in today's maritime industry
- Facilitate entry & advancement in the merchant marine at support, operational & management levels
- Meet or exceed the regulatory & industry demand for training with customized courses and related services
- Provide training for standard & advanced operations and watch-keeping
- Prepare for Coast Guard licensing exams
- Include continuing education programs
Deck Technology and Equipment:
Transas Navi-Trainer Professional 5000 Full Mission Bridge simulator interacts with our Transas Full Mission Engine Room simulator and Nav labs with ECDIS ,ARPA, GMDSS and Radar classroom simulators. MAMA's full-sized gravity davit and 12 man lifeboat installation is located on the waterfront in Cape Charles on Virginia's Eastern Shore. This equipment is used with our USCG / STCW approved Proficiency in Survival Craft / Lifeboatman course. Students use the equipment to demonstrate launching and recovery procedures, oar commands, rowing the lifeboat and taking command of the lifeboat underway. Advanced Firefighting facilities complete a full service training experience for mariners.
Engineering Technology and Equipment:
Our Mission: "The mission of the Mid Atlantic Maritime Academy (MAMA) is to provide unparalleled expertise and instruction to students pursuing a career in the maritime industry."
Our Vision: MAMA’s vision is to be the premier leader in innovative, comprehensive, creative and state-of-the-art maritime training.
We Are Committed To:
- The goals and objectives of our students
- The needs and satisfaction of our students
- Creating a challenging and dynamic work environment for our employees
In 2007 Mid Atlantic Maritime Academy (MAMA) bought the assets of Tidewater School of Navigation and began operations in June 1, of 2007. Capt. Jim Miller was instrumental in the start up of the MAMA enterprise at that time, along with others. In October of 2008, The Maritime University, (TMU) was formed as the Engineering branch of MAMA. January 2011, both MAMA and TMU became MAMA/TMU LLC as a single entity known to all as Mid Atlantic Maritime Academy or MAMA.